Monday, September 22, 2014

The Lord is My Shepherd


The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
 for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: 
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: 
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Psalms 23 (The Revelation)




The kingdom of God is full of peace, joy and contentment.  When we abide in Jesus Christ; He supplies all of our needs.  This is not a future hope, it is now.  As citizens of the kingdom, we are entitled to certain privileges.  I believe King David understood this.  One particular psalm speaks of protection in the Kingdom.  

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.  Psalms 91:1-2

That's kingdom living; safe in the care of our Lord and Savior.

God not only gives us a future hope, He gives us a present hope in this world.  King David went through many tests, trials and tribulations and yet He had an expectation that he would see the goodness of God while he yet lived:  

I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.  Psalms 27:13

There is another psalm of King David that speaks of kingdom living.  This one is an eye opener; some probably never thought nor looked at this Psalm in this way, even though they say it over and over again:

The Lord is my Shepherd
That's Relationship!

I shall not want
That's Supply!

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures
That's Rest!

He leadeth me beside the still waters
That's Refreshment!

He restoreth my soul
That's Healing!

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
That's Guidance!

For His name sake
That's Purpose!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
That's Testing!

I will fear no evil
That's Protection!

For Thou art with me
That's Faithfulness!

Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me
That's Discipline!

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies
That's Hope!

Thou annointest my head with oil
That's Consecration!

My cup runneth over
That's Abundance!

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life
That's Blessing!

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
That's Security!

Forever
That's Eternity!

Psalms 23

Someone shared this with my Pastor who shared it with us in service.  I thought it was very enlightening.

That should be a source of encouragement to us.  King David, in the midst of his troubles and his adversaries, always encouraged himself in and waited on the Lord.  We, as followers and believers, should do the same:

Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.  Psalms 27:14




Biblical Studies


04/28/16
06/28/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and encouraged!